Monday, October 29, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012!


Yep.  That's my username in that top right corner.  Which means it's official: I've signed up for NaNoWriMo.  This blog post is for all to see so that I can be held accountable.  As so many already know... it's a lot harder to quit or give up on something when all 400+ of your closest Facebook friends expect something of you.

The basic premise is that those who sign up for NaNoWriMo have all of November to write their novel, which MUST be at least 50,000 words.  (And even though NaNoWriMo is already shortened, I'm going to shorten it more to NNWM, because I'm just that lazy.)  NNWM is very generous in their definition of a novel: "If you believe you're writing a novel, then we believe you're writing a novel."

I have always wanted to do this, and I've always made excuses as to why I can't do it.  It's time to stop hiding behind these excuses... even though some of them are very acceptable.  I'd like to take a moment to reflect on my own insanity by agreeing to attempt NNWM the month before I graduate, which is sure to be one of the most hectic months of my life.  And let's not forget that I turn 22 this month, which will be my golden birthday, and I'm sure to receive 22 solid gold bars as a gift, so I'll have to figure out what to do with all that wealth and luxury, and if that doesn't say DISTRACTION from writing, then I don't know what does.  So, yes, there's a myriad of things to consider for my NNWM 2012 endeavor.

This is why I am changing the NNWM goal for me.  I did not give myself enough time to prepare an idea, background, plot, or anything necessary for writing a novel.  I have zero prewriting done.  Quite frankly, a novel is not the best thing for me to try and squeeze in just for the sake of completing NNWM with my last month of what is sure to be intense schoolwork left.  So instead of a novel of 50,000 words, I am going to be aiming for just 50,000 words of prose in general.  Whatever I write does not need to be connected in any particular way, or go together at all.  I just want to accomplish the 50,000 word deal.  I considered doing the 1,667 words a day version (which is exactly how many words per day of the 30-day month are needed to pass the 50,000 word goal on Nov 30, and would entail exactly 30 individual pieces with 1,667 words each), but I'd like to think that some of my prose pieces will take me longer, or may wind up being connected, or could even form a little baby novella.

I'm not ready to start writing a novel, not ready to take on a novel-in-a-month challenge.  But I am ready to do something.  I am tired of hiding and being afraid and not facing anything because that could mean failure.  If I fail... I fail!  As my dear bestie Jo Rowling has famously said, "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all-- in which case, you fail by default."

If I'm going to fail, I'm going to fail in a high-flying epic scheme of intensity... like, say, a 50,000 word personal challenge.  I do not want to fail by default, by not trying anything.

Thanks to Fr. Kyle for convincing me to take the plunge, sign up, and commit myself in the best way I can.  And thanks to those that have sent me encouraging messages.  Y'all are great.  If you're considering signing up for and are waiting for a sign, HERE IT IS!  At least try it.  The worst that happens is that you fail, but succeed in gaining some awesome experience.  Check it out here.

Two days and counting until November first, when my first (minimum of) 1,667 are "due."  Wish me luck?

1 comment: